- Swivels function by using concentric channels for each line that goes in to or out of the subject.
- With each channel that is added to the swivel, the dead volume and the resistance to being turned by the animal increases.
- When using a swivel system, it is the swivel itself that turns to prevent twisting of the inlet and outlet lines.
- Swivels contain internal seals which maintain the connection from the top of the swivel to the bottom (these seals require maintenance).
- Swivels need to be replaced frequently.
A liquid swivel based microdialysis system is satisfactory if:
- You intend to use the system only for a single type of sampling at one time (e.g., microdialysis, ultrafiltration, infusion)
- You intend to perform infusion or microdialysis using only one implanted cannula
- You are not interested in dual probe microdialysis
- There will only be one or two liquid lines installed to/from the animal
- The ability to upgrade, or add flexibility to your studies is not important to you
- You do not wish to use electrical lead lines
- You are not interested in collecting automated animal activity data during microdialysis or infusion studies.
- The Raturn® is a movement responsive caging system. Rather than the swivel turning, the cage itself interactively responds to animal movement to keep tubing and/or wires from twisting.
- The Raturn® does not cause, or force, the animal to move.
- The tethered subject has 280° of rotation before an optical sensor gets activated, which causes the cage to gently counter-rotate.
- This system allows for contiguous connections to the animal, thus minimizing connections, potential leak points, dead volume and expanding the potential sampling options and data collection.
- Individually or collectively, contiguous tubing, wires, optical cables, and other lines can be run to the animal. (collective max tubing OD: 6.35 mm in)
- Eliminates multiple connection points made by swivel
- Eliminates the use of a commutator
- Raturn® has been on the market since 1996 and is being used by thousands of Pharmaceutical companies, Universities and CROs around the world.
A Raturn® based microdialysis system is ideal if:
- You do not have the time and budget to clean, maintain and replace swivels, or trouble shoot swivel leakage / block / malfunction
- You want to sample from one, two or more microdialysis probes
- You would like to install multiple infusion / dosing and sampling lines
- You would like to utilize electrical and fluid lines in an experiment (e.g. simultaneous microdialysis, optogenetic stimulation and EEG recordings) and bypass a commutator
- You might want to add automated blood sampling for PK-PD research
- You might like to simultaneously collect behavioral data (activity as measures of left and right rotation + rearing) to correlate behavior in your studies